Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Cookie Exchange and My Grandmother's Molasses Cakes

Two years ago, my friend Kris invited me to a cookie exchange at her house. For those who have never done one, Everyone invited chooses a cookie different from someone else's. You make however many dozen cookies that there are people exchanging plus one dozen for judging and sampling. The first year, my cookie was obviously nothing to brag about because I cannot remember it for the life of me nor could anyone else. Last year I won with a chocolate dipped peanut butter cookie. It was yummy and beautiful but very time consuming. This year, I decided to go with a molasses cookie. Now it's no prize winner but it is easy to make and I knew no one else would make it. Plus, I knew a few people never even had one before. It's the perfect addition to any cookie tray. For this reason, I've decided to include the recipe in this post. Brodie says they look like turds before you bake them and they don't look much better after either. Despite that, he is a big fan. This recipe is my Grandmother's recipe and my family has been making these for many Christmas and I intend to carry on the tradition. I hope some of you try them. Happy Baking!

GRANDMA'S OLD FASHIONED MOLASSES CAKES

1 3/4 c. molasses
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. shortening
1 1/2 c. hot water
7 1/2 c. flour
3 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix molasses, sugar, shortening and water. Mix thoroughly. Blend in remaing ingredients. Drop by rouded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10-15 minutes or until almost no imprint remains when touched with finger.

I personally use Grandma's old fashioned robust molasses but any kind can be used. Flavoring may slighly change. Also can reduce molasses to 1 1/2 c. if desired. I prefer the stronger molasses flavor.

ENJOY!

No comments: